Sunday, March 29, 2015

Talking About Supermarkets


I started my supermarket series in the 1990's and finished the latest one, #23, just this week.  And I expect that more will eventually be made.  Stuff just keeps happening.  In a phone conversation this afternoon my mother mentioned that in doing their regular Sunday shopping they were charged a significant amount for fried chicken, which they saw as a problem because they hadn't bought any.  They complained, the store investigated their packages and verified that they had no chicken or anything else at the price on the receipt.  The store couldn't find a reason or excuse for the charge, but refunded the money.  This would be perfect for my series except that I did the same story five years ago when the same chain tried that on me ,  but with dog food.   A few months later, I turned the idea into a woodcut print, and then an animated film.

So today's chicken incident is out, but I was around for one thing today that could be adapted.  I was walking through the produce section and heard one worker loudly yelling at another.  They were by racks of prepackaged greens, lettuce and such, and the stated problem was, "Hey, we're not French!  We're English!"  (actually I believe they were both Americans)  I didn't get all the details, but it seemed to be regarding the name of whatever product they were stocking, and the shouter did not agree with something the other guy had done.  I stopped by the section when they were done.  All the labels were standard ones produced by the supermarket, nothing that could be blamed on any one worker, so perhaps the "English" guy didn't approve of his pronunciation or something.  Perhaps the solution would be language lessons in produce.  Not the most exciting concept, but I could easily do it if I had a need to do so.  I'll file the idea away for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home