Saturday, March 14, 2015

Supermarket Rubble part 18


The deadline for the big annual show in Belmar is coming up in about two weeks.  Seems like a good excuse to finish the current supermarket block.  Have a week of spring break coming up, so it's doable.


Still wasn't completely satisfied with every part of the drawing.  I had redrawn that shopping cart on the right once before, but I wasn't happy with it.  Needed a direct observation.  So during the week while grocery shopping I brought a piece of paper and took a minute to position a shopping cart and draw it so that the perspective would make sense for the composition.  Redrew the cart on the block few days ago before class with the above results.  That should be good enough.


This afternoon I went up to the Studio to get in a little more work on the block.  Although the latest version of the woman pedestrian in the upper left corner was the best one yet, I didn't like the direction she was walking, so before leaving home today I found another reference to bring with me.  At my work table, I erased the previous one and put in this new one.  It's rough, but I think this is the way I'll be going.  Then it was time to do more cutting.

I touched up one of the vertical poles, previously partly obscured by the carts on the right.  With one cart now relocated, I cut the rest of the pole.  That moved cart also exposed another little piece of the pedestrian in that corner, so I finished cutting that section.  I did some cutting on the guy dumping the bricks.  Mostly I was cutting out some of those shopping carts.  Did the two on the right, then started on the ones on the left.  The problem was that all those metal bars results in a design that is very intricate, and my pencil sketch needed more work.  So I cut the lines I was confident in, then decided to put off the rest until I could redraw it.  (click on the photo to see it enlarged)  Still not sure how I'm going to handle those bricks, but that's a problem for another day.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home