Monday, March 23, 2015

Supermarket Rubble part 23- finished



With an exhibition deadline looming, and expectations to be back teaching three days this week (been just three days since the last snow storm, but forecasts are favorable for the moment) today was the day to finally proof this block that I've been working on for several months.  Got there in the 1:00 hour, tore some paper to size and started working.  Decided to go with the Outlaw Black today, first time using it on new piece of significant size.  This is stiff thick ink, but it does cover fairly quickly.  No matter what ink you use, the first inking always takes the longest, but I could quickly see it coming together.


Including the inevitable re-inking, I got the first proof (above) pulled in about an hour.  Looked pretty much like I expected it would.  In one of our critiques, Molly was suggesting I should make it a true night time scene (actual time of the incident was dusk), have lots of shadows, but I said probably not, since I realized there would be a lot of black even in a day scene.  My white objects are nice and bright,  no shadows across them.  And there is plenty of black.


I took a few minutes to look at that first proof and decided to make some immediate changes.  The above image shows a bunch of them.  From the top- center car in the back is lightened to help it visually separate from the other cars and the background,  the clothing of the woman walking away was lightened to help her visually separate from the pavement, the pants of the brick guy were lightened to separate him from the pavement, and a thin white line was cut to mark the driver's door front pillar.  Below is the 2nd proof, which went a little faster, almost no re-inking required.


At this point I believe I am finished.  The one thing that bothers me is that I'm not sure how obvious it is that the guy is emptying his car back seat of bricks, the subject of this print.  On the other hand, it may fit in with the idea that the other figures in the parking lot don't notice it either, nor did anyone in the real life incident.  In any case, can't change it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home