Thursday, July 09, 2015

Studio Business



Almost halfway through the summer now and I've had relatively little time to get to the Studio.  My colleges don't offer the classes I teach in the summer, so I'm not there.  In the past I had a year round part time job that I typically worked three days a week, but a few years ago they decided to cut a huge chunk of their staff, which included me.   I spent a few weeks at the beginning of the summer trying to get back in, at different locations, but that got blocked.  So I ended up taking a part time job at a local supermarket, which lately has been a lot of hours, more than I work during the school year.  I'm happy to get the work, so I'm not complaining, but it means less time on art than I'd like.

However today I had the opportunity to combine making money and art, going in to meet with someone who wanted to buy a boardwalk print,  This is the one I have been working on a new copy of, which will replace the copy I was selling today.  The boardwalk series has always been well liked (this particular print has been in at least 10 shows that have records of, and has won two prizes) but in the 7 years since I started this series, this is the first one to be sold.  Maybe it starts a trend. I got there about an hour before my meeting and found the scene you see above- a semi-circle of chairs and some sixes of beer.  The signs of a recent critique.  Not a surprise, as I knew that Molly had put one together for this past Tuesday.  I had to miss it, scheduled to work my summer job.  At the end of my shift I was hot and sweaty, and really could have used a cold beer, but the crit was over around the time I got off work.   Molly had called just before it began to let me know people had shown up and she'd try to get some photos.

And then while I was carefully packing the print for my patron, Molly showed up, preparing to meet with someone.  She said there were a few regulars and a few college students that night, and she'll send the pics soon.  When I get them, I'll add then to this post.  While she was busy cranking out a few silkscreen prints I took my meeting person on a quick tour of the building.  It can be a very interesting place.  Originally I had thought that maybe I would continue my repairs of the the latest Wheel Game proof, but I ended up having a list of things to do, so that will have to wait until next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home