Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Before Summer Ends



Today I am 3 weeks away from the start of the fall semester.  Still don't know much for certain.  Expecting one studio class at the university, and down for two at the community college, though that could be less certain.  The latter school has asked us to submit our fall syllabi, which I did on the weekend.  One class is up past the minimum and will likely run, no guarantee that I'll be the teaching it.  The other class had no students when I last checked, so I figure it's likely it gets removed from the schedule soon.  It's a figure class, which I haven't taught in about 8 years, but last year I decided to update the syllabus in case it became an option, so all I had to do was redo the dates for this fall and sent it in. As for the university, no idea which class it will be yet, but I've taught both options before, so it will just be syllabus update.

So with nothing more to be done toward classes, I decided to use a rare day off from work to think about future prints.  I'm putting the supermarket series on hold right now during my supermarket employment, so I got to thinking about the boardwalk series.  Maybe it was selling one recently, or maybe it was seeing a tv piece on boardwalks this past weekend.  The series came to a halt during Hurricane Sandy, with the Asbury block mostly drawn.  That block seems to be in hiding for the moment, but I had a few other ideas from the origins of the series that I haven't done yet.  Ideas that have been thought about, researched, but no block started.  Wasn't going to start a block today either, but I figured it would be good to do some sketching and get the ideas flowing again.


In the afternoon I went up to the Studio and did a few drawing in a sketchbook.  Above is a bar themed idea.  This composition borrows from local places.  Below is my latest concept for one featuring rides, the biggest boardwalk thrill in my youngest years.  Both sketches are very crude, but are a little different compositions from the last time I thought about these.  Both need to be worked further on larger pieces of paper, as I have more ideas to go with each theme.


If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get one of these idea to finished paper sketch before school starts up again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home