Monday, August 28, 2017

Mermaid Piece part 10


With school coming soon, it's time to get going on finishing this mermaid piece.  As I said last time, the cutting is pretty much done for this piece, so sanding is the next step.


I dug through some of my other bags of woodcut materials and found a variety of sandpapers, made from different materials.  None of the packages state what the grits are made from.  I chose a 120 grit sandpaper to work with today- listed as a medium grade, suitable for leveling wood.  I also had rougher and finer grits, but this seemed like a good place to start.  Mostly working on bare skin today, areas of torso and face, but also some on the arms and hands.  Plus sanded the edges all the way around, smoothing them a little more.  Color will do more to help build space and form, but smoothing the broad areas of skin is a good thing.

I suppose I could do this sanding at home, but as the photo shows it does create a little bit of fine dust, and why would I want to deal with that in my apartment?  Time spent sanding gave me some time to think about the color choices, but I'll save those final decisions until after the sanding is completed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home