Thursday, January 17, 2019

St Dwynwen part 14


All the weather forecasters are calling for multiple storms to pass through the area in the coming days.  (rain, snow, ice, single digit temperatures, repeat the cycle, etc)  Generally they have been wrong about this kind of thing of late, but what if they are right?  Made sense to me to finish up this print.

Got up to the Studio around noon, and the building was pretty quiet.  The door was open, but very few people inside.  Went to my space and started the last two colors on this proof.   Thought it would be safer to put down the light background first, then the dark blue.  The background is a color I've used before, but I was out of premixed paint, so had to mix up a new batch.   A slightly warm off white, not quite dark enough to be a buff.  Don't remember exactly what I used to make it from, so this one is mostly white, with a very little bit of cadmium yellow and an earthy red.


Used it everywhere within the boundary of the playing card, except the inner rectangle.  Gave that a little time to dry, then put in the dark blue in the boxes that hold the saint's name, but this color I had left over from mixing it a few weeks ago.  (indigo, ultramarine, a touch of white) The idea is to make the card stand out from the white paper in a subtle way.   It can be discerned here, but shows up even better in better light, which I will hope the gallery areas will have.

I left it there, but I'll consider this photo over the next few days, and if I decide this is the answer, I can stretch the other proof and color it quickly, since the decisions will have been made and many of the colors will already be on one of my watercolor palettes.  (one nice thing about watercolor paints is that they dry as stable colors, and can be reconstituted instantly with water, even years later)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home