Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The Circus part 17


It's been about a week since I last worked on the Circus print, so I've had a little time to think about the results.  Generally I am pleased with the image, but things could be better.  Which is pretty much how it goes with artworks.

I think it's on the right track.  If the colors aren't perfect, they are not bad, and that can be figured out as I go.

There was one thing that was bothering me a bit, the inside of the cardboard tray that holds the crab sandwich.  In cutting it I left a bit of shading, fine vertical lines that give it a noticeably darker tone on the left side than the back, which is brightly lit white.  In a purely black and white woodcut this would be a logical way to handle the value differences between light and shadow.  But this piece is intended as a color piece from the start, and while I can add color to a shaded area like on that left side of the tray, it would still be much too dark to fit logically with the rest of the image. The shading should be done with color, which means some of that ink has got to go.  So today I put in a little time fixing up the block.


I brought my set of student tools with me today.  First priority was fixing that shaded area, which in the block photo (above) is in the lower right corner.  Didn't want to take it all out, but I did cut out many of the black lines that had been in there.  I'll consider the results before the next proof is taken.  I also cleaned up some of the fried food, though mostly it was just recutting things that had been cut originally, but had taken some ink.  In the same way I went back into the clowns in the roof sign, cleaned them up, and then I removed some bits that had made stray marks in my first proof, in the architecture, the car reflection.  As I said above, I'll consider the results a little before I either cut any more or pull the next proof, but I definitely think it has been improved.  

While I was up there today I took a brief break to go up to the 1st floor with the tools and my block and proof and talk to Nichole.  More discussions on a possible woodcut class, and this way she could physically see some of what I was talking about, such as the tools that I typically provide to a class, which is why I brought the student tools today instead of my personal set.  We also talked about the way the class breaks down week by week, best hours, and she raised the possibility of the building buy some woodcut tools to provide the students in class, and to have me build them some sturdy tables  for the space where classes might be held.  (I assume these could be used for other classes as well) Lots to be considered there, but I guess it's a sign they are serious about holding some art classes there, which strikes me as a good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home