Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Drawing Class Returns


Last Tuesday we had the final meeting of the first drawing series.  Would there be more?  Didn't quite know.  Some interest had been expressed, but some doubts as well.  Not knowing what was going on, time to prepare for all possibilities.

One thing I knew I needed was more white objects.  With all my college drawing value assignments and exercises, I start with white objects- vessel forms spray painted white.  The idea is to eliminate any local colors and values, so that just have to deal with light over the surface and any shadows.  I knew I had some ready to go, but I also had some that were chipped.  I expected to use some for my new Ocean Grove drawing class, but I will also need them for my college Intro to Art class in the fall, so why not get them done.  Picked up a fresh can of white spray paint and headed down to my parents' house, where I usually set up my spray booth- a large cardboard box I keep in the outdoor shed. Had with me an assortment of vessels- mostly former milk and orange juice containers, some previously painted, some brand new.  Did that on Sunday, a first coat and then a second coat touch up, the later moved the whole thing to the shed to let it dry.

Checked in with Nichole on Monday.  When I arrived we had one signed up new person and that was it- not enough to have the class.  But while I was there in the office we had one call, then another, so it looked like it would be happening.  And with a day to go, we might get more.  That's how this kind of thing can happen.  Picked up my now dry painted items from the shed.

Tuesday morning I had a new problem- electricity was gone again. Just weeks after a 3 day blackout that pushed me to the limits.  Not having lights was tricky.  Not having tv or internet was a problem.  But what really did the damage was not having air conditioning or refrigeration, especially in an apartment that is generally between 80 and 90 degrees at all times this time of year.  But at 6 am today, my clock radio was no longer showing time and my fan had stopped.  I went back to bed.  At least it was a cloudy day, keeping the heat lower.  There had been no storms, just the usual poor wiring job done by our electricity provider. By 9:00 am there was a truck outside, a guy in the cherry picker, working on our power line- so this was not a regional problem, just us.  But shortly after 10:00 I heard the refrigerator motor start up, then saw the cable box light up, so it was resolved.  I had eaten breakfast in the half darkness, but had light to shower and shave by.  Took care of all that, gathered my stuff for class, and took off.

Got up to Ocean Grove around noon, but no one around.  Always work to do, so down to the Studio to work on the narwhal project. Carrying stuff back to my car I ran into Nichole, who confirmed we would be set up in room #3 again.  Dropped off art stuff in my car and went to pick up class stuff (now that I knew where to unload it to) and ran into a woman who seemed a little confused.  Turned out she was interested in the day's art class but didn't know who to talk to.  Well I could help with that.  I brought her to the classroom and ran off of fetch Nichole so she could collect the money and register her.   While chatting with my new student, the other new student who had signed up online also showed up.  Then one of my July students, who decided to continue even though she might have some conflicts, but she really likes learning this art stuff. A fourth student, another returning one who had expressed interest, not there today and I don't know if she had registered.



I set up my white objects (along with drapery) on the main table so my returning student could try out  her new charcoal and kneaded eraser, all new to her.  So far she's digging them and getting good results. Meanwhile I had brought my bag of shoes for the new students (now two) and got them started with the typical exercises in contour line.  Results were what usually happens.  At the scheduled end of class everyone seemed happy with the results and planned to be back next week.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home