Monday, December 16, 2019

2019 JSAC Holiday Volunteer Luncheon


Back when we were still having Wednesday night drawing classes on the 3rd floor, Nichole had given me an invitation for the annual holiday luncheon, to be held in that same room in mid December.  I remembered the one from last year.  Sounded good, but I told her I'd have to let her know once I knew my schedule.  Last week I was able to RSVP, on the condition that there wasn't a blizzard or anything like that- you never know this time of year.  By last night there were predictions of snow for this area of the country, but probably not on the Jersey Shore until late evening. I guess the luncheon would be on.

Come late morning today it was very cold, but still no precipitation, and forecasts still called for nothing until late tonight, so I set out for Ocean Grove.  Dropped off a few things in my basement Studio, saw Molly hard at work- printing new fishes.  Nichole was among those who had expressed interest in having her make more (the original screen was finished), so I'd let her know.  Took the elevator right to the 3rd floor, a little past the official noon start time.  Steam trays and a beverage table were being set up, but nothing was being served yet, and maybe 12-15 other people in attendance- less than we had when it got started last year.  The others (all elderly women I don't know- they never come to the basement) were seated over by the food, while I took a seat by myself at the other end of the giant U that had been created by the tables.  At one point one of the elderly ladies invited me to move over to where they were, but I told them I expected more people would eventually arrive where I was sitting.

And by the time the food was uncovered, they started arriving.  Guys from the basement, some from the office. Someone noted that the seating was not unlike a high school dance- guys on one side, girls on the other.  (if the "girls" weren't all senior citizens who dislike artist types, perhaps we would have mixed more) As for the food- it was good as usual.  Started with a plate of salad (mixed greens, some goat cheese, bits of fruit, a bowl of a balsamic type dressing), then went back for a plate of hot foods- something with some green beans and almonds, penne alfredo, small meatballs (not Italian, but a spicy vaguely asian flavor), salmon, a chicken dish, and then a tray of eggplant parmesan.  Tasted good, so I went back for a second plate of some of my favorites, but after that point I was fairly full, so there would be a lot of stuff left for the employees to eat over the ne xt week.  I also knew that I would not need to make an evening meal tonight. I saw Nichole and mentioned to her that Molly was working on a new fish image print, but she said she had seen it this morning. At that point one of the elderly women decided to try to organize a sing-a-long, and I decided it was a good time to get out of there.  Down to the basement to get my stuff and found Molly was still there working.  Her fish screen had broken down, so she might have to make another one depending on what Nichole wanted. Snow had still not arrived, so a took care of a few errands and headed home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home