Sunday, April 05, 2020

Vesuvio part 20


Been working from home a lot lately.  The demands of online teaching are heavy- even today I had to answer several school related emails.  Brought home all my proofs from the current project, and all my watercolor materials, just in case I'm not allowed back into my space.  So far so good, but it's best to be prepared.

When I have time, I advance the coloring process a little.  I'm getting information from my experimental proof, but some is being figured out as I go,  a gradual process as I try to keep the balance in the piece.  While the sun was out today I carried my drawing board downstairs and got a picture.


Still has a long way to go, but it's starting to come together.  That this is a better printing than the first proof helps, and so far none of the color choices are bad.  It occurred to me that this print is very much a fantasy.  First because the place closed a few years ago, and the interior completely replaced in what followed.  But also because around here you can't eat in restaurants any more.  Some have take out, but going out to eat pizza, that doesn't happen any more.  I would have done this piece anyway, but now it has a new connotation.

By the way, that wall is a pale wash of a color my tube calls New Gamboge.  Was there an old gamboge?  There may be a bad virus out there, but we have electricity and an working internet, so answers are out there too.  The original gamboge was derived from a plant sap found in certain asian trees (same root word that gave us "Cambodia"), and is the color used in traditional Buddhist robes.  Natural version can range from mustardy to saffron color. This "new" one is derived from a nickel compound and is closer to the saffron effect, but in pure form was too intense for this piece.  So far this pale wash is working for me, but if I need more color, I have the tube.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home