Thursday, September 10, 2020

A New Phase part 6

 Actually did an update to my CV last night, but didn't get around to writing about it. The air conditioner tends to put me to sleep. But I got up a decent time this morning and planned to finally send all this information to the name we were told we could send it to. Went to the website that told us this, but I couldn't find the information there. The site that had listed 3 positions at this particular school now listed no jobs.  The school site was still there, but the contact was just listed in her other jobs, including assistant to the dean, but no other details. The home page still said that all in person classes were cancelled through December.  I did remember the contact's name, and verified her email address, and was looking for more information when I found a new item- the school had chosen a new dean to that division.  It's someone I know all too well. He was an assistant dean at my community college for a while.  He didn't much like me, but he really didn't like art.  On more than one occasion, he said to me, "I don't know anything about art.  I don't want to know anything about art. So stop talking to me about art."  Unfortunately, it was the art department and teaching art was my job.  It's like working for GM and having a boss who hates cars and talking about them.  Then in the middle of a semester, he was suddenly gone.  No one said if he had quit or was fired, but no one seemed to miss him. Now he turns up this other school I was thinking about working at. 

Looking around the school website, I see they still don't have anyone teaching printmaking.  Perhaps it hasn't been a priority to hire one with no class being taught.  I don't know, but I'm guessing if this guy is in charge now, I won't be offered a position there.  I may still send something in to the contact name I had found before (it doesn't cost anything, and the worst that can happen is they say no); maybe this contact will just forward things to whoever is helping out with that these days.  But this was the only lead I had to a current art teaching job, so I may have to find a new field.  It's unfortunate, as it is the field that I have the most background in, and the most experience in.  Plus, I like it, and I'm good at it. But as  I wrote recently, schools are afraid to offer classes, and students are afraid to take them.  I'll start dealing with that tomorrow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home