Thursday, February 17, 2022

Promotion Time

 

Part of having a show is promoting it.  This exhibition isn't costing me anything but time, so I will use what time I have.  In a way, the show also promotes my upcoming classes, which pay me if they run, so it is worth my time to get some people there.  I've done what I can do from home.  I did a posting about it here on this blog, including the design for the postcard, sent to us a few weeks ago.  I've also sent emails to some local people who have expressed an interest in my work before, so if they want to come to a free show, they can.  However, there are people who I don't have email addresses for, though I know where they are sometimes. These would be ideal people to hand postcards to, with all the dates, hours, and other relevant information, but those postcards still haven't been done.  We were sent the design and spelling to approve before the last storm.  And I asked about it the day I hung the show.  But I was told that cards still weren't made yet. I stopped by the building on my way through Neptune the other day, and still no cards.  The show opens tomorrow, so I can't really wait anymore. 

I had a new idea last night- put some basic information on the backs of business cards I have in my car, and hand those out.  Not ideal, but better than nothing.  So this morning I went out to my car and got a short stack of those business cards.   (second set done by Belmar Arts Council)  Later in the morning, I wrote on the backs of half a dozen: the opening reception and time, the closing reception and time, the open Saturday hours, and the web address of the NJAC.  My name is printed on the front. Like I said, better than nothing.  

In the afternoon I took a ride and passed a few out.  The plan was to bring them to some of my various therapists, the people I have had the most interaction with over the past several months.  Unfortunately, my physical therapist wasn't there.  It was the time he had worked, but I was told he changed his hours recently, and wasn't there on Thursday afternoons.  So it was just me and the receptionist, who knows me well, and we had a conversation about physical therapy, figs, and other important things, before I left her a card for the show, which she will pass on to my physical therapist next time she sees him.  From there I drove to my speech therapy office.  I knew my speech therapist had taken the week off (my next appointment is delayed until next week), but I was there to see the receptionist as well.  Gave her a puzzle to work on a few months ago, one of my boardwalk images, and that original print is one of those hanging on the wall right now.  So obviously I had to tell her about the show, and brought her a card.  No demands that she show up when I am there, but I figured she should know that the original print for her puzzle is hanging in a current show, and made sure she knew where the place is.  I have no idea if she will actually come to see it, but it would be rude not to tell her.  

So now I have done all I can do to promote the show.  New and clean clothes for the reception.  The rest is in the hands of the JSAC.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home