Saturday, March 19, 2022

St Joseph's Day 2022



 One of my favorite holidays has come around again, St. Joseph's Day.  A holiday unknown to most who are not Italian, and it's a shame, as it's a good celebration.  Unlike that nonsense on the 17th, the custom for this day includes eating of fine Italian pastries, due to fact among many things, Joseph is the patron saint of bakers, and Italy of course.  The standard is a large zeppole, filled with traditional cannoli cream (sometimes with chocolate chips), maybe with small pieces of candied fruit on or inside.  One year I was sold a large sfinge, a more irregular hunk of fried dough, but still filled with cannoli cream, and just as good.  At least once (back in Carbondale) I made a ricotta cheesecake for the occasion, as I didn't have a good recipe for the zeppole shells (something between a donut and a large cream puff), and some years when I couldn't find the proper pastry, I'd have pasta with an old world meat sauce, and celebrate Italianicity that way.  But this year my mother went out in the morning and got some zeppeli (two with custard, two with cannoli cream), so we'll be covered here.  For lunch I had a leftover half sandwich from Thursday, sausage and peppers on a big roll, reheated and delicious.  For dinner at night, we had mushroom ravioli with an alfredo sauce, at my father's request.  And we knew what dessert would be.

If you are wondering about that photo at the top of this post, I still don't have a camera, but that may change soon.  Instead, this is an experiment that my mother suggested.  It seems that my father's cell phone can take photos, but unlike mine, we can send them to email, which can be sent to me, and I can download those photos into my computer and post them to a blog.  That image of zeppeli at the top of the post means that the experiment worked, and I may do it once in a while for art, at least until either I get back my old camera, or buy a new one.  But that photo is what I ate tonight.  One of those with the white filling.  Yummy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home