Thursday, March 10, 2022

Art Life

 

A few things to deal with the past few days.

One big project I completed was migrating a lot of material.  Although my job at the university ended a year and a half ago, the email box is still working, so I have been checking it on a daily basis.  Not that anything is coming my way from the college anymore, but you never know. Then last week something came my way, a notice that the college is having us get new logins next week.  Problem is that I don't know if I'll even be allowed to have one, being as I am not employed there anymore.  But I have had that email box since 2004, and there is much there that I don't have any other place, a problem if I don't have access to it anymore.  My solution is to forward any relevant email to another place before I get locked out.  (I wrote about this before) So I have spent the past several days going through that email box, seeng what is there, and sending anything I might want for the future to a box not controlled by that university.  Not particularly difficult, just time consuming.  There are maybe thousands of emails in the various categories.  (at first there was a space limit, but that was eliminated years ago, so I have just kept everything, with old stuff being properly migrated from the original box to the one I may be losing in a few days)  

I found some things I didn't know I had, like a phone number that I wanted, but didn't have access to anymore.  But I found it in an old email from 2009, wrote it down, and called it (and she called me back) so now I have it in a few places.  I found some old reference letters that I don't have a need for right now, but I may later.  Lots of communication from fellow faculty.  Articles and authors related to shows I had long ago.  I didn't need to save all of this, but I at least read it again.  In the end I forwarded about 30 emails, containing communications, documents, images, and other stuff to the new box.  I will try to get the new login when the time comes to apply, but if I can't get it, I have what I need.

Yesterday I got a mail from the place I have a current show in.  Apparently there has been some interest in my boardwalk print from the show, and some inquiries about purchasing one.  I have another copy unframed, and am willing to sell the one in the show (with or without the frame) once the show is over, so I gave the price information to the office there.  In my experience, most people who ask about buying things never actually put up the money to do so, but I told them if they wanted to look into it, they can.  Perhaps I'll put more boardwalk prints into the next show.  Of course, if I don't get my watercolors back, it is all moot anyway.

I am scheduled to teach classes there in April, and last night I got a notice of a new sign up in the color class.  That makes two for acrylics, and five for drawing, both on Saturdays.  That drawing class will definitely run, and I don't know yet about the other, so I will ask next time I see Nichole.  About three weeks to go, so anything is possible.

The person I had called was my computer consultant, who helped me install a new operating system in my trusty old laptop several years ago, so finding that number was timely.  I asked about further updates, and was told that may not be possible, as that laptop keeps getting older, and in her experience, the updates don't take hold anymore in machines as old as mine.  Looks like I'll be migrating images next, but that can wait until I see what's on the web, and what I have on the computer to save.  It may be quite a lot.  I have taken thousands of photos, and some may be worth holding on to.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home