Thursday, January 25, 2024

Cross Roads Blues part 4

 I was concerned with one particular part of my block, in the Studio the other day.  I had done text captions on all my Robert Johnson blocks, all based on his original lyrics, at least as put in lyric videos found on the internet, or just listening to the songs, again on the internet.  I continued this tradition on my current block, even though I have no idea if it will ever be needed.  The only time I have printed this text was for a proof of "Love in Vain", in my current show in Ocean Grove.  (by the way, I had left my pieces up at the request of the program director, and so I'll just keep them up now, as other tenants are invited to put new pieces up on the bare walls, which saves me the trouble of framing new things)  For the text, (done backwards of course for the block, but I'm used to that) I had block printed the opening of the line as "Ask the Lord above"  but I had written in my sketchbook, "Asked the Lord above."  I don't have any version of the song with me these days, so I had to go back to the internet to verify it.  Much easier to fix now in pencil than later after it gets carved. 

So I pulled up the video and it had the Asked lyrics.  Made sense, as the rest of the verses before and after that line are also in the past tense.  Today's weather called for occasional rain, so I decided just to remain home and do it here.  Didn't take long.  I saw that I had a little room to spare at the end of the first line, so I erased a few letters at the end of the line, drew in the new correct ones at the end, and gradually worked my way to the first word.  The original mistaken lyric can be seen in some of the previous posts about this image, parts 2-3, all from earlier this month.  The new version can be seen below:


I hope this is the last thing I need to do to this block.  I'll have it at home for the next few days, give it a good look, but unless I find another problem, I'll assume the drawing is done.  I plan to start cutting it next week.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home