Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Year That Was 2023

 

This past year didn't have me stay in a hospital, which was good, but there were a lot of doctors and medical procedures.  That is because I was diagnosed with cancer.  Compared to the brain tumor I had a few years ago, this was less of an existential threat and more of an inconvenience.  I can say that because it didn't become a worse problem and the treatment was relatively easy, and may be done for now.  It did take away my weekdays for about a month and a half, and so cut into my Studio time a bit, but it didn't affect my weekends, so I still participated in some weekend activities while I was getting my radiation treatments during the week.  And I still got some prints done before and after.

Prints- Not a lot of new stuff, but things continued, things started, and things taken to completion.   I continued work on the Robert Johnson prints- having sent my contact images of the early works, and done some reprints and new photos of all of these.  I finally printed a first proof of my most recent supermarket print, one about the sad state of supermarkets during the beginnings of the pandemic, almost like something out of dystopian science fiction.  I started two new blocks- having drawn and cut my take on the many blood draws I have gotten the past few years, and I started drawing a new Robert Johnson block at the most recent Open Studio event.  None of those are finished yet.  The only two prints that have been started and finished this year are the piece begun at the spring Open Studio (Achluophobia) and my holiday card for this year.

Shows- Between the long term effects of Covid, and my many medical concerns, very few shows this year.  The Robert Johnson show in Tennessee still hasn't happened yet, but I did put the three completed works into the Tenants Show in my studio building in Ocean Grove, so they at least got shown there.  And were appreciated from conversations I had and word that has gotten back to me.

Firsts- None really for me, but this was the first time I heard about the Art on the Porch event held in Ocean Grove, and despite being in the midst of cancer treatments, I visited the porch displays of everyone I knew, including some people who had been to my previous Open Studio. I handled the long walk well.

Teaching- No classes this past year, though I am still hoping to have more at JSAC.  The print related stuff that my former student Mary donated has arrived, so maybe that will lead to something. 

Studio- Still get there when I can, and make work as soon as I get ideas.  I have to hope Molly renews her lease, but last I spoke to her she still wants to be there.  We got new photo ID's this year, that are used to open the door.  I don't think it helps any, just adds another thing we have to bring to get into the building, while more of the keys I had are now useless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home