Saturday, November 25, 2023

Christmas Card 2023

 Today is the 25th of November, which means Christmas is a month away now.   Perhaps time to start thinking about this year's card.  I've been making and printing cards for decades, and since Carbondale I settled into a routine- start with a famous artwork from art history, turn it into either a Christmas or winter scene, draw, cut, and print it, then color them to match the original.  A few years ago I still didn't have watercolors yet, so I did a black and white card (a Hopper etching was my starting point), but otherwise all have been in color. 

One of the big problems these days is that I am running out of ideas for cards.  It was a lot easier when I had shelves full of art books to look through.   I can find anything I want to work from on the internet, as long as I can remember what it is so I can look for it.  The other main problem is finding supplies.  Most of the stores and places I got art supplies from have closed or gone out of business.  What I need at least I can get mail order, but that means calling and placing an order- no more just going to a local place and picking up what I need. 

I could have prepared a block this morning if I went to the open studio, even done some drawing, but I had decided by yesterday afternoon that I wasn't going.  And I didn't.  But I didn't waste the day, and used some of it to get and idea and start some sketches.  Since I don't have lots of art books to look through in search of ideas these days, I went with pure memory- what artworks have I liked that I can turn into a card?  And of course, haven't been used before for a card.  As of last night I narrowed it down to two paintings I remembered well, and this morning I chose one of them to go with.  I probably have enough watercolors to do what I want, but I will check my supplies anyway, as I need paper and it would be easier to order it all at once.  Next week I can order ink and paper (definitely need both), and go into the Studio next week to prepare a block.  I'll probably do the drawing at home, but the cutting and printing there.  

As for what I am doing, that will have to wait until I post the results here, which I traditionally do on Christmas Day, a month from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home