Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Blood Draw part 10

With the exhibition (or at least my part of it) behind me, seems like time to get to cutting some new block. So today I did just that.  I did some ink wash drawing on a new block last month, but haven't been able to do anything more with it since, having been involved with getting ready for the current show, all that mat cutting and framing stuff, plus all the things related to the actual hanging.  I may give a tour or two if it is requested, but otherwise I have nothing to do for about a month.

I brought a bag of tools, but it turned out to be only the student tools I use for my woodcut classes, whenever they run.  They are not bad tools (I wouldn't have them for the students if they were), but they are not as good as the professional ones I tend to use.  It's all I had for today, and may have had some effect on what I did, but maybe not.

That many wood shavings on the table might be a sign that I had done a lot of cutting, but in this case it was all the margins around the border.  Normally that's what I do first with a woodcut, but I was tempted to go right to the first portrait piece.  However, without my better tools, I decided it was better to just carve that outer area.  In the end, it all has to get done, so doing it today meant not wasting time.

Molly appearances are quite rare, and her being there recently means I may not see her again for a while.  Either way I decided to bring some music along and was able to play it.  I put on a cd home burned copy of the first two albums by X, Los Angeles and Wild Gift, put out as a singe disc on Slash Records in the 80's, not unusual for short albums in that time.  For more about this disc, see June of 2020 on this blog.  The two albums together add up to about an hour, which was just enough to cut away all four sides from my image.

Below is what the block looked like at the end of today's session:





I'm still not sure if I'm satisfied with the block drawing, but the margins are the same no matter what.  I want to at least study it in a mirror before deciding about the rest of it.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home