Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Show Prep

 There's lots involved in putting on an exhibition, or being part of an exhibition.  I don't know who is in this show we have coming up next week in the Studio building, but there's a good possibility that no one else has as much exhibition experience as I do.  So I figured I'd ask a few questions up there today (I had other business anyway) about things that I don't think have been resolved yet.  

First one was handled just as I was getting in the door.  We all got an email a few days ago stating that we either should deliver the work to a storage room on Monday or Tuesday, or hang it ourselves on Wednesday to Friday.  I knew I could be available either Tuesday or Thursday, so I'd let the people in charge decide what they preferred.  When I got to the outside front door, I was soon joined by Joe Borzotta, who organized the show, and had his hands full with a giant box and other stuff, so I used my ID to open the door and hold it for him.   When given the choices, Joe said he'd prefer that I drop off work today, so I told him I'd meet his request, and find him in his studio.   On my way to my space I noticed that there was still no hanging system installed on the main floor, so obviously I couldn't hang anything today.  

I went directly to the basement office, waited for Jeanne to get off the phone, and had some questions for her, related to the show.  Did she want any kind of artist statement?  We had one in a binder for one show, attached to the wall near our pieces for another show.  She said she meant to send a request about that out to everyone in the show, but she'd be happy for me to send her a document for put in a binder.  The last email we got (from Joe) had mentioned that artists were asked to bring some food for the reception, a pot luck kind of thing I guess.  What I wanted to know from her was if we had any kind of rules about what we brought.  (at Belmar, in the later years it could only be prepackaged items still sealed in the manufacturer's packaging, nothing homemade, board of health orders)  Jeanne knew nothing about this, but figured she'd find out something.  (the reception is not for more than a week, so too soon for me to have bought anything yet)  She may assign items to different people, but had already decided no soda, and suggested nothing that required utensils.   My last question was regarding publicity- did we have any postcards or flyers yet?  No, and I don't think they made them yet.  No postcards, still haven't asked for statements- there does seem to be a lot of confusion with this show, and things to be worked out over the next week.

I decided to take the elevator the 2nd floor to meet Joe, keeping all my framed works in the bag.  Found Joe, and we took the elevator to the 1st floor, where the storage room is.  Even though collection began yesterday, I seem to be the only artist in the show so far.   (lots of confusion)  I dropped off my pieces and kept the bag.  It has my scraps of mat board, and I will likely need it when the show ends, whenever that is.  There on the first floor, Joe showed me the space that will be mine, part of one of the long walls.  Below is a file photo of that space:


I used this photo in a blog post about 4 years ago, but I have no idea how long ago I took it, so it may be a bit older.  However, it does the job.  That piano in now in a different part of the room.

I stopped by the office one more time to find out how they wanted the statement sent (we settled on a Microsoft Word Document, which I can export), then I had no reason to hang out, so I went home. Since they have my work, I don't need to go back, unless I decide to help hang the show.  They may need a lot of help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home