Thursday, September 07, 2023

Blood Draw part 8

 Not much more I can do about the tenants show right now, but I have been dealing with it and other things for most of the past week.  I had sent things in as requested for the past few days, and hadn't heard anything, but with the holiday weekend, I didn't expect to.   Then yesterday I got an email from Joe Borzotta, asking for the form.  While Jeanne's email said that all mail to her regarding the show would be automatically forwarded to Joe, apparently it wasn't.  No problem- I just replied to his email and attached the file with the form, same as I had with Jeanne.  He replied that he received it, so all is well.  I have met all the deadlines for submitting information, so now its just a matter of framing the proofs.

Also yesterday I got a call from my domain host, asking why I hadn't put security on my site yet.  My reply was that I had put the security thing on my site and paid for it months ago. If it wasn't there, it was their fault.  A quick look at their records showed that indeed I had paid for it months ago, though it wasn't showing up when they loaded the site, and they promised to deal with it quickly.  Later I was told that the problem was that my site is a "legacy site", very old (I built it two computers ago) and they had pointed the security to the wrong place.  That was now taken care of but it may take a day or two to get through the web.   They said for free I could get a professionally designed site, and I don't know about that yet, but I do know I want to update what I have, since the site and its information hasn't been updated for almost a decade.  (the password, which I was required to change years ago, is in storage of course)  The problem is that the example site they give is much smaller than the one I have, which is not something I want.  Also a problem, all the images are on my old laptop, but it can't access the domain site from there- an old operating system I can't update.  (these is a way to transfer images from one computer to the other, but it's a long inconvenient process)  But the biggest problem of all, is that my old site gradually disappeared over the next few hours, so now I have nothing.  When the guy called me back about updating things, I had to tell him there was nothing to update.  I'll keep an eye on it, see if it is back by tomorrow as promised.

Meanwhile, another email from Jeanne (at least that still works, same company) this morning telling all the participants that this is the 3rd Annual Resident Art exhibition. Except it's not.  I had a whole conversation with Nichole about this last year.  Last year we had the second such show, but there was a gap of several years between the first and second shows, so it was not an annual thing.  Nichole didn't understand that annual implies a regular once a year event and just figured it was a word people used in promoting exhibitions.  For the same reasons, this may be our third show, but it's not been an annual event.  I don't care what they call it, but I figured Jeanne should know the truth, if she was still working on promotion. However, when I got there in the morning she was too busy to talk, so I decided I'd stop at the office later.  Besides, I had work to do.

I dealt with exhibition and computer stuff the past week, but there's nothing more I can do with either of those right now, so a good time to get back to work on the latest block. This time I was prepared for the value drawing (done with brush and ink for this one) and had a clamp light and bulb with me, as well as brushes and drawing ink.  I set up my Studio, clearing the table and turning off the room lights.  Then I mounted my clamp lamp on top of a folding easel I keep there in the Studio, in a place that seemed compatible with the shadows on the nurse figure. I used one of Molly's extension cords to bring the power.



Got out my ink and brushes, and filled my water can.  Mirrors set up.   I was ready.  I brought the rock/pop book today, selecting things based on recent exposure to ideas.  For example, I started with an X live album, Live at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go because yesterday I saw a reaction video of Johnny Rivers promoting an album he recored at the famous music venue.  A very old album now, as seen in the black and white clip, a cover of Chuck Berry, and being interviewed by a very young Dick Clark.  You can read my reaction to the X album here on this blog back in June of 2022.   When that ended, I put on Volume 4 by the Joe Jackson Band, also based on a recent exposure (mom talking about one of her grandchildren reminded me of a lyric) and you can read more about that album back on March of 2020.  Results of today's art session can be seen below:


I'm not done with the drawing yet, but made definite progress today. That round shape in the upper center, next to the nurse's head, is a place holder for a clock, a thing I remember from my times in the hospital, as well as my mother having seen one during her stay last month, which also included a lot of blood draws at all hours.  I don't know if I will keep it, change the size, the location, or what.  I will also look at the block for balance of light and dark, as well as check it in a mirror to see if it will work in reverse.   For now there is some tone around the face on the far left, which makes the light colors stand out more, as well as being part of the overall balance.  Back when I was teaching drawing (and this is essentially a drawing right now) I always told my students that in value drawing it is best to get rid of contour lines, and let edges separate values, and I have a lot of this to look at now.  They could do whatever they wanted with eh background, even if not accurate to the set up.  Of course some decisions will be made while cutting, drawing with the knife as they say.   But so far I like what I see.  I put Molly's extension cord back where it had been.

Stopped by the office again on my way out, and this time Jeanne was at her desk and not on the phone.  I explained the problem with calling it the 3rd Annual show and she seemed to understand it easily enough, but decided at this point she just didn't feel like changing it, so it would be called the 3rd Annual show.  Whatever- I passed on my information, and what happens from here I don't care much about.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home