Thursday, July 13, 2023

Nashville Show

 Took a trip up to the Studio for a few reasons.  One was to verify a few things related to my request for some kind of improvement in the basement conditions.  Another was because I wanted to stop by the supermarket and pick up a few things on the way home.  However, the big reason is that I realized that we are almost halfway through July now (got my car inspected yesterday) and I still haven't heard anything about the Robert Johnson show that Tom is organizing for us and others in Nashville.  Last I had heard from him, he was going to let me know this summer what was going on, and the summer is half over now. I'm not going to ask him about it yet, but I want to be prepared and ready to go when he is.  

I have pulled lots of proofs of prints from that series, including two of different sizes of the one he liked best (sent images a few months ago) and I have taken large format photos of all of them, but I did know that the one horizontal piece (his favorite of course) had some shadow on the left side,  Lights in my Studio space are not going to change any time soon, but it had occurred to me that my portable tack board is indeed portable, so there was no reason I couldn't put it in a different part of the room, or a different room for that matter, where the light would be better.  

First though, I stopped by the office.  Elyse had sent an email a few days ago, which I had replied to.  She told me today that she considered replying to that one, but hadn't.   (no questions were asked, so I didn't expect one)  I still hadn't heard anything about a windowless air conditioner, but she said that from what she had heard, they cost a lot more than the window models, so that's probably out.  And there are security concerns about us having a window model, even if the building creates some kind of mounting system, as at ground level it still may be easy for someone to push it in and gain access to our space.  (as I pointed out, that had already happened with just our regular windows and no air conditioner)  So nothing has been decided yet.  Good thing the basement is not unbearable yet.  

As for the photo session, a quick glance at the other nearby rooms and hallways in the basement showed me they were no better than what I had, so I set up in my space.   First I tried moving the board out from where it is, but still facing the windows, the best source of light I have.  The print looked good, but the camera itself, held in from of the print to photograph it, still cast a slight shadow.   Not acceptable from my point of view.  So I moved the tack board at a right angle to the windows.  That was the answer.  I took a whole bunch of photos, of both the original and shortened versions, as I still don't know exactly what is wanted. But I am ready.  

Then came the hard part, trying to edit all these photos into images I can post here.  It's hard to tell just from looking at thumbnails what is good and not.  I didn't even know the number of the photo until after editing and moving it to the dashboard.  The best clue was that I could easily see which ones were the shorter (proper size) image, by looking at the left side where I made the change and shortened it.  

One of my edited images can be seen above.  I think it's the right one for this size, but I won't know for sure unless I email it to myself- the only way to verify the file size.  And a lot of this depends on what the gallery in Nashville wants, and I don't know if even Tom knows that.  Of course, I returned the space to the state it was when I got there.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home