Thursday, August 31, 2023

Photo Session


Still haven't heard anything new from Tom about the Nashville/Robert Johnson show, but I do know a little more about another upcoming show where I plan to show the same prints- the one in Ocean Grove in our building.   The departure of Elyse has not changed the plans to have it, just who is in charge of it. A few days ago I got an email, saying we should be sending information to Joe Borzotta, which partly confirmed what I had heard from Jeanne in the office.  But before that was due I got another email from Jeanne, with a form to be filled out and sent to her, as well as request for images and other information about the works.   I have known for months what I plan to show and that I had frames to do it.  (important now that frames are much harder to buy)  Even bought some fresh mat board for the occasion.  The form asked for titles, sized of frames, prices, etc.  My newer laptop would allow me to open and fill out the form, and attach it to an email, so I did all that and sent it to Jeanne, who confirmed reception of it.  

Photos were more of a problem.  Oh, I had some, a bunch of images I had taken to send to Tom, the gallery making the plates, etc.  However, I did not have what this form asked me to send.  I had made some extra large jpegs earlier this year, the file size to match up with what was requested for the places in Nashville.  However, here we were asked to make smaller jpegs, under 1 MB, and a maximum size of 1200 dpi.  Don't get me started on the dpi thing, a measurement used for printing on paper, and not for digital photography.  But I could make smaller file sizes, so that became the new mission.

I knew I had better proofs up at the Studio, and conditions are better there for taking photos.  So I went there late this morning with my camera.  One thing I found was that the small file setting on my camera was too small to make photos of the right size, so I had to set to the smaller of the M settings and crop it from there.  

 


As usual, Molly had her stuff all over my portable tack board, so I decided to use the wall board I have attached to the wall above the cabinet.  The proofs themselves are nice and flat, inside my drying rack.  I have three things in the show, so I just had three things to photograph today.  One at a time I stuck them to the wall with push pins, and took my photos from a little further away than usual. Back home I loaded a few at a time into my computer, editing the best of each, preparing it for sending in.   Before leaving, I stopped by the office and saw Jeanne, who again confirmed receiving the form, and being able to open it and read it, which is important.  She said the photo size wasn't that important, just wanted to make sure what we all sent in wasn't too big.  I understand that from running blogs, where I was often sent photos that were over 8 MB in size, way bigger than what was needed for an online showing.  Below are the results of today's photo session.




All look fine to me.  All are under 1MB each, as requested.  However, all are a little larger in pixel size (the proper way to measure digital photos, not that dpi nonsense), than what the form asked for.   Since Jeanne seemed to indicate today that the actual size was not that important, I decided what I had done would be fine.  If they want to use them as such, all well and good, and if they are still too big, they are welcome to apply some software to these, or the larger files if they want me to send those.  

I left the disc books at home today, as I didn't expect to be there long.  But for music I did put on the home burned disc I have of Bob Marley and the Wailers, my favorites from Babylon By Bus, plus another live track from another disc I had.  Good music to work to, and one I keep there for days like this.  I wrote about it on this blog back in October of 2021 if you want to know more about it.

UPDATE-  I sent the photos as requested, and heard nothing back as of 11:00 pm.  I hadn't necessarily expected to, as we are entering a holiday weekend, and a lot of people are already on vacation.  The deadline for sending in the photos is still more than a week away, so I am ahead of schedule.  I have mat boards, so can cut those sometime soon.  The plan was to hang the show sometime in early October, and the opening reception is currently scheduled for the evening on October 12th, but I would not be surprised if that changes between now and then.  Things move around a lot in that building.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home