Saturday, September 23, 2023

Weather Concerns

 

I had a weather concern earlier today.   There's a tropical storm moving up the coast right now.  Not expected to turn into a hurricane, but still seems to be massive, and would not be surprised if the expected winds (may be over 60 mph around here) knock out power at some point.  Based on the weather, it's going to pass by in bands, with some lulls in between.  I live far enough inland that waves and local flooding should not be a problem, but I was a bit worried about my art.  Not what I have here, but what I have in my Studio.  I finished my framing last week, and those works are scheduled to be hung in about a week, and left the works in a plastic bag, leaning against my table, resting on the ground.  Since that is the building they will be hung in, made sense to leave them in that building for now.  But that was before I knew about this storm.

Our 19th century building is pretty solid (it was built to last, as things were back then) and has survived numerous hurricanes despite standing within walking distance of the ocean.  However, there was once a basement flood.  Happened back in March of 2014.  Not really the building's fault, but the town, who temporarily solved a pipe issue by sending the water from a rain storm into our basement.  I was expecting it, and had moved all my art off the floor and onto my table.   Molly hadn't, and had much art stored on the floor under her press and the tables.  All that art had to be disposed of, ruined by the water that had flowed through our space.  As far as I knew, my plastic bag was intact, but if not, and the room flooded again due to the new storm, I might not have time enough to buy new mat board and cut it before it was time to hang the planned show.  

So during one of lulls late this morning, I took a drive up to Ocean Grove.  Lots of cars out front (play rehearsal going on) so I was able to get in and out quickly without having to mess with the alarm.  As it turned out, no flood had occurred (yet), but I did take the precaution of moving my bagged framed prints to my table top, well away from any risk of flood damage.  And with that, I was done with my business and headed home.  No problem with wind or rain or traffic lights on the way home.  No need to worry about this over the next week.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home