Thursday, October 12, 2023

Tenants III Opening Reception

 A very busy day today.  After some debate I decided to get a loaf a specialty bread from down in Point Pleasant as my contribution to the refreshments at tonights reception.  Problem is that when I got there, they had none.  Not because they were sold out, but because they no longer make them on weekdays.  They used to, as I used to take them to the critique groups, always on weeknights. Luckily I had a backup plan- prepackaged pastries from the local Acme.  Then I went home.

Of bigger concern to me was what would happen with the door.  We got a mass email yesterday saying that the main door would be worked on, so the gates will be locked all day, and a key to the padlock necessary to get in.  No problem for me, as it is one of ring full of keys I have for that building, but could be a problem for anyone showing up for the reception tonight.  

To avoid traffic and to make sure I got parking in the main lot, I decided to get up there around 4:30, well before the opening reception.  Going from my home to the Studio, I have to cross the railroad tracks twice, and on the second time I had to take a detour to avoid having to wait at a rail crossing.  Got there in plenty of time, with lots of parking, and they were done working for the day on the doors, so they and the gates were wide open.  Nothing I needed to do, so I just went to my Studio and enjoyed the solitude and some nice jazz from my collection.  Went back upstairs about ten minutes before things were set to begin.  I was told that my artist statement was not in the book.  Saw Jeanne and asked her about it.  She said it was printed out and would go in the binder very soon.  In fact, she gave me the page and a plastic sheet holder and invited me to take care of it.  No problem.  Besides, the crowd was already starting to come in.  



We had a lot more than I expected for a weeknight crowd- didn't formally count them, but I'd say that at least 40-50 people wandered through.  Some may have been students who had a class, and some may have been theater people there for a rehearsal, but they were there. None of the people I had invited specifically showed up, but someone who did was Mary Lane, also known here as East Coast Mary,  collaborator for that show of prints a few years ago, probably the most devoted student I ever had, and quite a good woodcut printmaker.  A few years ago she made a deal with then director Nichole to donate some of her print equipment to the JSAC under the condition that it be used to teach art to kids, as she found out when doing the East/West show that many local schools were no longer teaching any art.  Elyse continued that process, taking delivery of Mary's bulkiest items (including a small roller press I used to print some proofs of West Coast Mary's work, and a wooden frame I built for a large plastic sink basin my Mary had acquired).  Mary has decided to sell her house, and is liquidating most of her print materials, and offered some to me.  I'll talk to her about that later. 


Meanwhile, she was there so invited her to check out my work.  She thought it looked different from my previous work.  I should probably find out more what she meant by that.  And because both Nicole and Elsye were now gone, I decided I should introduce her to Jeanne, our current director.  Jeanne said that they were still interested in printmaking and working with students, but were trying to get a grant to pay for it.  Mary was satisfied to hear that.

Several of the participating artists were present, and between what the building bought and what we brought in, one table was not enough, so a second was brought out and set up.  Those in attendance made a good dent on the refreshments before long.  


Once in a while I was asked by people in attendance to explain what I had done, whether it be the woodcut process or the Robert Johnson story.  One knew about the crossroads story, and I explained it as best as I know- it's a legend, but what is known for sure is that he went somewhere and came back with guitar playing and song writing skills he never had before. How he learned all that remains unknown, as does what really happened at the crossroads.  I hope that people decide to do some research of their own and listen to some of the music. 


About quarter to eight, I decided to take a load of stuff to my car.  Came back inside and they had started to pack up what remained on the food table.  At that point they decided to cut the cake, a giant 3rd Annual Tenants thing.  I hung out long enough to get a slice, then joined the crowd in getting out of there.  I had things to do at home, and a busy day planned for the Friday.

On the way home, I got stuck at a train crossing close to home, but lucky it was a southbound train, so the delay wasn't too long.  If I had to have a delay, better after the reception than on my way to it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home