Thursday, November 09, 2023

Blood Draw part 15

 

One thing I noticed the last time I was up at my Studio was on my way out there were a lot of wreaths around.  Two in the hallway outside Bobby's studio, where he likes to work sometimes, and then a bunch in the main room on the first floor, where the 3rd Tenants show is currently hung.  Does this mean that the Christmas decorations are going up soon, and thus we have to get our work out of there?  Back when Herb was running things it probably would, as he hated art and let nothing interfere with the Christmas concert.  On the other hand, our show is supposed to run another week or so, and the Christmas tree lighting ceremony its not scheduled (according to the website) until after Thanksgiving.  In any case, I was looking carefully in the main hallway as I arrived.  

So I got a bigger surprise- trees had joined the wreaths around the perimeter of the main hall, and the tallest trees were parked right in front of my framed works.  The only works in the whole hallway blocked by Christmas trees.  Hell, no.  So I moved the trees down a few feet, where they were no longer blocking any artwork, and just put short things in front of my work, so anyone who came in could see them.  I just got an email a few days ago from one of the people I wrote about the show, saying she just found it.  I have no idea if she is going to see the show, but I figured my works should be visible to anyone who comes in.  

Dropped stuff off in my space, and made my way to the office.  I asked Jeanne if there was a plan to put up Christmas decorations soon, and would I need to take my pieces down soon.  She not only said no, but that she was planning to send out an email inviting the artists to keep the work up longer,  as she likes having things up on wall and the art looks good.  (as of this afternoon the email hadn't arrived yet, so I have no idea what is offered or planned)  So for now, my framed pieces are still up on the wall, with name labels up as well.  When I know something more I'll post it here.

Meanwhile, I had work to do.  Today I made sure to bring the right tools, and I put them to use.  I first put on a disc, my home burned copy of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, plus as much of the bonus disc as I could fit on the blank, written about on this blog back in June of 2019 if you care to know more.  And then I started cutting.  As I had planned, the last main thing on the block is the arm at the bottom, the one with the IV in it.  For now I decided to put some hair on the arm, since there is a lot of the actual arm it's based on, sketched with a pencil.  Then I started carving.  Having the good tools helped, and before the disc was through, I had finished cutting out the arm, hand, bandages, etc.  Details can be seen in the first photo, and the whole block in the second photo.



I even decided to put a few vertical cuts in the deep background behind the figures, but left it there.  Maybe I'll take a rubbing at this point and see what I have, then decide what else needs to be cut, if anything. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home