Bakery part 8
I haven't worked on this print for more than a month, due to various circumstances beyond my control. A big chunk of that was devoted to building a box for a surprise show. That box and all its framed matted art has been shipped, and I was told that all my info had arrived there via email. There have also been issues with my car and my mother, but that's not stopping me today. I suppose I could also work on the boardwalk print, but this proof has been sitting in my rack a while, and my practice color piece at home near where I sit, so today I am going to deal with that.
Upon arrival (had to take the stairs as the elevator was being used to move a couch) I noticed that Molly had been in since the last time I was there. No notices taped to either door. We had gotten a mass email from the building supervisor last week, since my last time there, saying that a guy from the town mercantile office had been in the building taping overdue notices to doors. This led to a flurry of other emails from various tenants, either with questions about this, or doubts to the legitimacy of the whole thing. Where does this leave me? Talk to Molly, so I did that on Saturday, walking to a place I know she would be in the Squan. Molly said she actually talked to the guy and told him she was cool. The guy eventually left. So I don't know if he came back and left something on our door that Molly got during her last appearance, or if we won't be hearing from him again. I'll contact her later and try to find out.
I cleared my table and got to work coloring. I had brought with me my practice color proof, and got the better proof from my rack. Mostly I used already mixed colors, though I did have to make some more sky blue from white and cerulean. Results can be seen below:
I stand by this new one being better than the practice proof, but in coloring it I realized there are still some issues. These are issues with the block, so I think I will print it one more time, after further cutting. This may require paper I don't have, so I may need to order some more. Another day.
For music today I had a home burned collection of music from the early records from the Gin Blossoms. (that disc was blogged about back in December of 2022 if you want to know more about it) Long ago I had a friend who was a huge fan of the band, back to when we were dj's at Montclair State and the group only had a small label album, which is why I heard of them in the early days and know a bit about them. My other link to the band is that I once went to a show at the place led to the end of the band. That was the BoatHouse, a warehouse converted to a rock club in Hampton Roads (VA), and I saw a great show there once of Living Colour before they were playing stadiums. From what I have read, the Gin Blossoms also played a show there when they were up and coming, but it did not go well, and got them some bad press. And this may have led to band member Doug Hopkins going back to drinking, to the extent that their new major label forced him out of the group. He had been a member long enough to play on several songs on their upcoming major label release, which after relentless touring and some key videos became a huge hit, but Hopkins was gone (just like Pete Best), and later committed suicide. From what my friend told me, the band wasn't playing any of his songs (and he was a principal song writer), I don't know if after his dismissal or his death, and this was a problem because these were the songs the band was best known for. Eventually the band started playing his songs again, but they never had as many big hits without him. Members have come and gone, and a version of the band is still out there, but they don't have a major label now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home