Thursday, July 19, 2007

A History of Art part 19




Revisited two areas of the tower today. Started with the upper right corner, the art studio. I had narrowed down the choice of figures to 3, and on paper sketched various combinations, before deciding on using these two poses together. I put the models in the studio, put in the drawing boards along the bottom, and reworked the easel a few times until I was satisfied. The figures need a little refining, but it's on the right track.

Then I went on to the prison. I added 4 new figures, all from Hieronymus Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights, a favorite painting since my youth. All are typical Bosch patchwork demonic creatures. The figures have little themselves to do with my art, but for me are symbolic of Bosch's work, and he and Bruegel are both very influential on my large complex composition prints, including this one. The figures also fill a few holes in the space. I still have to work out shadows and other details, but the prison is otherwise done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home