Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Figure Drawing Group

Now that the semester is over, I have a lot more evenings free. Tonight I decided to go check out the figure drawing group that meets at the BAC Boatworks. I brought an 18" x 24" pad and charcoal. I skipped the gestures, and did several 15-20 minute drawings. The one shown is a 15 minute drawing, my best one of the night. Not too bad, considering it's been almost a year since the last time I drew with charcoal. The other artists there seemed to really like it (and the other drawings I did), citing the boldness of the marks and general power of the drawings. One even compared this one to a Japanese woodcut, not knowing anything about my history with woodcuts. I don't think it's an accident that my charcoal drawings look a little like woodcuts, just as my figure/portrait woodcuts look like charcoal drawings- it's all about the marks.

1 Comments:

Blogger RonA said...

Saw your photo of the group, looked like fun. May try this some day. Great charcoal drawing; and it does have that woodcut look.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home