Thursday, September 04, 2008

Tattoo Me?!!




No, I'm not planning to get any tattoos in the near future. (the post title is an old joke from high school) But I did spend a few hours at a tattoo shop this afternoon. One of the ideas for my boardwalk print series has to do with getting tattoos. I'm going to save the full story until I start the block. Today I was getting some references at Electric Tattoo in Bradley Beach. One of the co-owners is Robert Ryan, an artist who I know from his times in the Studio (as one of Molly's silk screen students and from crit nights) and from the local art scene. Knowing I could use some reference material, I dropped by his shop a few weeks ago to see if he was ok with me coming by sometime to do some sketching. He was, and suggested this particular day when he had a some scheduled appointments.

I got there shortly after the shop opened, and his first appointment was agreeable with me sketching the process. Some of the results can be seen above. After he was done with her tattoo ( a small butterfly on the lower back), I took some close up photos of his tools, as well as some of his flash on the walls. Eventually I will sit down and see how this material can be worked into a print diptych, but not before I finish the current wheel game piece, and it's possible that another one may be started next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home