Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Summer's Not Quite Over



The summer season generally ends at Labor Day, but today's weather showed that it isn't done yet. I didn't need to be at any of my jobs today, so I took care of some business in Ocean County, then took the short ride from there to the Seaside Heights. Those from NY/NJ know Seaside very well (by reputation if not experience), and those from further parts may remember MTV having their summer beach house location there a few times in the 90's. I wanted to get some more references and notes from Seaside for my Floating World project, but I hadn't been there for a few years and I was not in a hurry to deal with summer crowds. (I had been collecting them from Pt Pleasant since last year ) The place was hardly empty today, but not the usual mobs either. The ride parks were closed and a few game booths were shut down, but most games were open, as well as almost all the arcades, food stands, shops, bars, psychics, etc, so I had plenty to see. I took a small sketchbook, which I used for thumbnails and note taking mostly, as well as the camera for shots like those above. Late lunch was a slice of typical boardwalk pizza (those are standard 9" paper plates underneath it to give you an idea of how big these things are), but I resisted the temptation to get some ice cream. I'm sure I'll be doing more boardwalk visits before this series is done, but today's trip gave me enough information to keep my busy for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home