Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A History of Art part 24


One of the last visual references I need for my tower project is a kiddie amusement park ride, especially one that I might have enjoyed on visits to Point Pleasant Boardwalk. The problem is the crowds in the summer. Weekends are impossible, but I thought I might do better on a weekday. Today was the first day this week I was home before 5 pm, though I did have to mow the lawn and wash some pots first before going out. I seem to recall us parking on the street sometimes when I was a kid, but no such spaces were available anywhere near the boardwalk tonight, and I didn't want to pay $10 for a space in a lot for what was to be just a short visit. I eventually ended up in the free lot downtown, just had to walk almost a mile back to the beach.

I went first to the ride area shown in the top photo to scout possibilities. Some that I remember from my youth are gone, replaced with more modern looking conveyances to travel in a circle for 2 or 3 minutes. But some classics were still there and I did some very rough sketches of the fire engines and boats (the latter rotating around through a circular trough). I can expand the sketches when I choose one for the block. Took other photos and did sketches of a few other items of interest that may appear in future prints.

Work done, had a little fun just walking around the boardwalk. My dinner tonight was a cup of boardwalk fries and some ice cream. (at least I got a lot of exercise walking around town.) It's just not summer around here unless at some point you have a classic orange and cream cone from Kohr's, a fixture for generations on boardwalks up and down NJ. A nice treat for my hike back to my truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home