Sunday, August 12, 2007

A History of Art part 22


Today I moved over the the bottom right corner of the tower. The station wagon already occupies the foreground, but I still need some background on that side. Most of my time was spent working on the train crossing. Even more than airplanes, as a kid I was really into trains. I played with electric trains, made art projects about trains, etc. And in an odd coincidence, I have lived pretty much all my life within walking distance of a train station. (Admittedly, the distance from my Bloomfield home to the train station in Montclair is a long walk, but it's one I've made. Wall to Belmar was almost as long, but again, a hike I've done. Distances to stations in Williamsburg and Carbondale were considerably shorter, and now I live about 4 blocks from the Manasquan station.) The visual reference for the block is more midwestern related. I put in an ADM hopper car, something I would see very often rolling past the Glove Factory.

Just beyond the train I started putting in some very tall highway signs- you don't see these much around NJ, but in the midwest you see these from the interstates, so you can spot fast food, gas, and motels from miles away. Just behind that I started sketching in the hillside Tuscan town of Castelnuovo di Val di Cecina, one of my ancestral hometowns. Here it represents the part of the world that gave birth to the Renaissance, which influenced all western art that followed. The photo I had with me today of Castelnuovo was too small to provide the detail I need, so I'll have to get back to this another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home