Saturday, August 11, 2007

A History of Art part 21




With my part of the t-shirt out of the way and other short term priorities taken care of, I was free to return to my tower project today. What's left is to deal with is the space around the tower, which I've been thinking about off and on since my last work on this block. The ideas are being drawn off the original list of influences for the tower, stuff that didn't make it into the structure itself.

Today I started working the lower left corner of the block drawing. Closest to the tower I started putting in a boardwalk- wood in the front, extending around the back, where there is a typical railing and a beach beyond. Out of the horizon is a bit of Hokusai's Mt. Fuji and the famous wave (above the tv), representing Japanese woodcuts in general. Although my prints are far more influenced by western printmaking, the Japanese approach to 2D art has impacted on my work, especially in composing within the rectangle.

I don't make use of the beach as subject matter in the way that so many of my fellow Monmouth county residents do, but it does figure prominently into my most well known portrait piece, that of the former Kathleen Dillon (which often ends up in the background of newspaper photos of me).

I haven't really done much with boardwalks yet, but there are a few ideas in my head. When I talk about boardwalks, I'm thinking of those with amusements, such as Point Pleasant, Seaside, Wildwood, and Atlantic City. As a child a visit to the boardwalk in Point was always a summer highlight- kiddie rides, games of chance, pizza, ice cream, skee ball. As part of a recreation job I had for several more recent years, I probably made over 100 visits to the various ones listed above. These days it's not quite so magical a place, but always still interesting. Not quite done here yet. My plan is to continue this scene toward the left, with some type of amusement in the area under the rug and alphabet block. I was thinking of a spinning wheel game, but the space may be more conducive to a kid's ride. I think I need to visit a boardwalk again, do a little research. And maybe get some ice cream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home