Friday, May 29, 2009

Riding the Tattoo Circuit

That tattoo print kept me on the road for a little while today.

First stop was in Bradley Beach, at Electric Tattoo, the shop where I did the original sketches. I had made arrangements to meet with Rob this afternoon before his first customer of the day. Not that he was as invested in the process of making this print as I was, but he was happy to have the opportunity to see the results, and liked what he saw. Some specific things that he mentioned liking were the rough symmetry of the dragon and his tattoo designs on the left, the subtlety of the wall of flash seen over his shoulder, and how well I captured the complex shape that is the tattoo needle. He noted that I changed the apron from black to the indigo stripe, but agreed that it was better for the composition. He said he was very much looking forward to seeing future prints in the series.

From there I took the short ride up to the Studio. Not to work today, just to pick up my metal straight edge ruler. The place was very clean- Molly had to straighten up the place for her Ladies Night silkscreen party. Now it's all clean for Monday's Critique Group.

Took the ruler home, where tonight I used it to measure a mat I needed to cut. The mat is for a framed copy of the tattoo print that I will put in a group show in Belmar tomorrow. (the frame and plexi are from a 9 year old print that I can't imagine exhibiting again any time soon) The show is called Brave New Works, and the participating artists are encouraged to submit work that is more ground breaking or experimental. Other than the fact that a woodcut in general is kind of radical for the Belmar Arts Council, for me this piece is unusual in that it doesn't exist completely in a defined space, but combines the scenes of people with the free floating art surrounding them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home