Thursday, August 13, 2009

Keeping Busy

Nothing too exciting today, but was busy throughout the day with various art related activities. A few days ago I matted and framed a small piece for a silent auction. I need to put my mat cutting machine away by the weekend, but while it was still out I decided to cut a few more mats. These are for boardwalk prints. Since it may not be possible to buy the inexpensive frame parts locally anymore, I ordered some that are essentially the same from an art catalog. They came in a while ago, and a few days ago I ordered some plexiglass to fit. That won't be ready until next week, but no problem cutting the mats now. Did two of them at 20"x25", each with a 2" wide frame. Mounted the tattoo print (which had been in the frame that now holds the arcade print in the Belmar show) in one, and will save the other for next one that needs framing.

Had a working lunch of sorts. Walked over to the local Surf Taco outlet to drop off a pile of announcements regarding the upcoming BAC surfing themed exhibition, looking for potentially interested participants and visitors. Brought home a tasty burrito.

In the afternoon I took a turn gallery sitting for the current show at the Boatworks in Belmar. Lots of people came through, but all BAC people there for various business- winetasting event committee, surf show committee. I had something to keep me busy- my big sketchbook and some 18"x24" paper. The sketchbook contains some notes and sketches for the next boardwalk print, and I used the time and space to start working out a rough composition sketch at the full scale. More details on the print when I'm ready to begin.

Though my sitting shift officially ended at 5 pm, I stuck around to continue what I was doing. Listened to some cool music, continued doing big sketches, and eventually had a dinner break- a sandwich and drink brought from home. The reason I stayed was because tonight was BAC critique night, and I figured it would be easiest to just hang around in Belmar in between. We had the largest turnout I'd ever seen for this BAC crit, six people including myself. Of course I showed the arcade piece, just temporarily took it off the wall and put it up on the easel. A few in the room had seen it in progress, while it was completely new to others. Got a very good reaction, mostly for the large amounts of narrative detail and the bold use of color.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home