Thursday, July 29, 2010

Smoking Figure part 6


A lot of rain passed through the area today (we need it), and between morning storms I ventured out as far as Main Street in my town. Studied a few brick patterns, but mostly I was taking a rubbing off a cornerstone, to get the vintage style of engraved numbers. When I got to the Studio I made an adjustment to the equivalent piece of architecture (just to the right of the figure in the above photo), extending it another half inch or so, and adding a hint of two numbers. I still haven't decided if the final print will include this lower section, but if it stays, it might as well be more interesting.

I spent the rest of my short stay working on the tattoo question. I traced the part of the block that includes the model's near shoulder, then cut it out to make a template. I traced that several times onto separate paper and began to fill some in. The model's tattoos on that arm include the sunburst design from the Carousel House at Asbury's boardwalk. A little too bold for my purpose here. If I do use something from the model, it would be a pair of tattoos she has on her shoulder blades, birds carrying scrolls. One would be seen clearly on the near arm (the drawing on left in the photo below, maybe a bit smaller), and I would put a piece of its twin on the other arm (below center). Another option is to do something more generic, such as the simple rose on the right below. Over the next few days I may sketch out a few more options to present in next week's critique.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home