Saturday, September 04, 2010

Boardwalk Nights part 7



I was able to spend several hours in the Studio this afternoon, and made a lot of changes to the block. Almost every figure that I had previously drawn was reworked to some extent, some of them entirely redrawn. And I added 10 more figures, large and small. The space is starting to fill in nicely. Certainly a few more figures will be added, and some of these may be further modified, but the end is in sight.

In the evening I took care of some other related business. Unlike the previous prints in this series, this image is set at night, which means that the light is going to be different throughout. I decided I could use more information and so this evening I took a little walk to the beach. My town does fireworks displays on or near the three major summer holidays, and tonight was the night for the Labor Day weekend fireworks. I wanted to see the effect of electric lights on a boardwalk, and I figured that this stretch seen above would be a decent approximation. I also wanted to know if the fireworks would add any changes to how things would look at night. As for the latter, while exploding fireworks made a big difference in the lighting for the crowds on the beach, for those on under the streetlights there was no significant difference. I'll keep all that in mind when I'm cutting and coloring this print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home