Saturday, February 19, 2011

Boardwalk Showers part 11

Got a three day weekend and no specific plans for any of the days, so I expect to make some major progress on this block before my next work day. Today's step wasn't particularly exciting- dealing with the perspective issues on the walls- but I couldn't move on without resolving it. After looking at the block for a few days I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Two hours later I had brought the block to the state shown above. I started with the exterior room corner in the right side panel, erasing almost all of the previous tile perspective lines and setting up a new eye level at just below the top panel borders. After that I just worked with a ruler and very gradually worked out perspective lines based on the established heights of tiles on each section of wall. I marked out all the tiles on the wall facing outward, then on the inner walls that mark the shower alcoves. (I also added a third column of tiles to the alcove walls to deepen the spaces a little) It's long been my plan to have rows of colored tile on these walls, so for now I marked a dark row (likely black) and two shaded rows (will be color in final version) along the whole wall, going in and around all the architecture. It's a very common design element in shower/locker rooms, will reinforce the perspective, and provide a visual element to draw the eye across the composition. Of course, there's no way that I'm going to individually cut out every tile in the image- there are over 200 just around the showers alone. I'll cut all the larger ones (floor and wall) and the colored tile rows, but for many of the others I will cut to show selected lines- just enough to imply the tile patterns and perspective.

Got a few other things done today as well. I had to make minor adjustments to the lockers to reflect the new eye level, and I redrew the showering figure on the far left. I've been thinking of adding a floor drain and roughed in a potential location for it. After that I called it a day. Assuming that I still like all this tomorrow, what remains is adding a few details and cleaning up a few areas. Things are looking good to begin cutting very soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home