Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Time is Here Again


Christmas isn't over until I get my cards out to all those who earned them this year. Last night I had time to get back to this effort. I had all the cards at home, along with my watercolors, and taking care of a relatively mechanical task like coloring a large run of cards is easily done while watching late night tv. Above is how they looked after the first of many colors. Below is a later stage, with four colors done. I added a couple of more colors after this, before going to bed.


In the morning I added the last few colors, and after taking care of a few important errands, found my way to the Studio. I had brought my paper cutter home in case I ended up doing all this at home, but to this point had only completed my prototype on Christmas morning. As part of my ongoing effort to clean up my apartment, I figured I'd bring equipment back there and use my big work table to finish the job. The equipment and tools stayed there, and the cards came home with me.

Now I have 16 finished cards available to send out. The most time consuming part, actually writing out all the cards, is yet to come. I remain hopeful that I'll have a bunch out before New Year's Day, which is still way ahead of last year's blizzard influenced timetable.

2 Comments:

Blogger about this artist said...

wheres mine? hehe.....
I do not know who you r? I love your card so you hand color after press?
what do you cut your block into wood?
I have never completed a block it seems so hard to cut wood or linoleum? Can you teach a easer way to cut ,away undesirable matter or is it that I am a lazy artist?
Hopefuly I willl make it to a critique' I did sign up and pay' but I forgot to take the wrong hanger off,and change to wire!
I missed bringing my art back,properly wired for the salon, as It seems..I do not exists on a normal day' bed late in am, wake up afternoon.... I need to get on a schedule ,so I will not miss so much.I am enjoying your blog.....linda

5:19 PM  
Blogger arrabbiata said...

Yes, the hand coloring is done after the printing (by hand, no press is used). Once in a while I print color with multiple blocks, but I find hand coloring the easiest way to get the look I want.

Sorry, no easy way to make a woodcut block. The best advice I have is to get the best quality tools you can afford and keep them super sharp. Dull tools make the job ten times more difficult. Linoleum is a little easier to cut, but I enjoy working with wood so much more.

When I don't have a reason to get up early I tend to revert to a late night schedule myself. Unfortunately, making a living means getting up earlier than I'd like a lot of days. Luckily, I don't need much sleep.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home