Saturday, December 17, 2011

St Benno part 9- finished


The semester is winding down, and Christmas is coming up fast, so I decided to use some free time this afternoon to deal with some old and new projects. I went up to the Studio in the afternoon, parked in the lot, but instead of going into the building I walked directly over to Cookman Avenue. Molly's show opens tonight and I thought I'd get some photos of her installed work before the crowds showed up. However, the gallery was locked up, so I took care of one other errand up the street and walked back to Ocean Grove.

The main thing I wanted to do today was to color the second copy of the St Benno print. Everyone seems to like the first version, as do I, so I decided to just pretty much copy what I did. It's been a few weeks since I did the first, but I was able to figure out what the colors were (it helps that it's just 5 tube colors and mixes between them) and get pretty close matches. As with the first proof, some of the colors were done by overlaying washes. Not difficult, but it did require letting the paper dry between washes. Used one break to fetch a couple of slices of pizza across the street. I used some later downtime to saw off a couple of new blocks. The smaller one was surfaced with wood filler and will be for this year's holiday card. The other will be for the next boardwalk print, but rather than surface it, I stuck it under a large pile of other boards to let the weight help flatten it out.

It took a little while, but I finished coloring the print. Maybe not an exact match in every spot, but certainly close enough, as can be seen above. I cleaned up and headed back toward Cookman and Molly's opening reception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home