Saturday, December 17, 2011

Asbury Opening


About quarter after 7 I bundled up against the rapidly chilling air, and made a second attempt to visit the new group show at Parlor Gallery, featuring a selection of Molly's work and work from a few other artists I know who have made occasional appearances in our Studio. The exhibition is called "Local Color", but I'm not sure why, as some of the artists are from far away, and not all the work is in color. There were a few dozen visitors at the time I arrived, the numbers maybe doubling over the next hour.

Molly's work was all located in the back corner of the gallery. On the left wall- a group of silkscreen collages and a rubbing of Molly's newest block. On the right wall- a very recently completed silkscreen (since the last crit it accidentally spent some time out in a rain storm and got a little bit burned by a space heater), a shelf full of her "robutt" characters, and small wood sculptures on the floor. Click photo to enlarge it.

A shelf full of Robutts on the march.

Arranged on the floor were some wood pieces with designs on them. The gushing oil rigs are a very recent work- I saw the painted original on the glass coffee table outside our door. The discs have pig images, finished versions of objects she showed at the last critique group.

Molly arrives late to things more often than not. Today she arrived not quite an hour into the reception, which is actually much better than the last time she showed here. We had gotten the word out to our mutual friends, so the critique group was represented during the first 90 minutes by myself, Harriet (and her husband), Sandy, Adam, and Katie. Several other local art world people also turned up while I was there. Around 8:30 pm I decided to leave and head for next location. I walked back to my car in the parking lot outside my building and drove away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home