Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Year That Was 2011

As is my custom, my end of the year wrap up of what I did related to art. For full details you can look back through the last 12 months of this blog, or read this post for the highlights.

Prints- Like many recent years, I didn't finish as many new prints as I would have liked. Only one boardwalk print was completed, but I did devote a bit of time to finally finishing the smoking figure (my largest ever single panel woodcut), a piece that I had started thinking about 5 years ago, and finally began in 2010. My only other significant print was a new saint print, which didn't take long in itself, but sessions were spread out over months. There was also a little (linoleum) demo piece, and this year's Christmas card.

Shows- Another year without a solo show, something I really need to work on. However, most of the year I had something up somewhere at any given time. Most of these were in spaces I am very familiar with (Belmar Arts Council, PCNJ), but for the first time I had work at New Jersey City University, at Rutgers- Newark, and in an international show in Estonia. Another new venue was in downtown Somerville, where I was chosen by PCNJ to represent the medium of woodcut, with 5 prints on display as part of Arts on Division. All together, I can remember 14 prints in 8 group shows, with two of those shows traveling to a second venue.

Publicity- Not much this year. I did get extensively quoted in an article about a project at the BAC, but it wasn't about my art. If the analytics that come with this blog are accurate, I've had over 8000 page views in 2011, for whatever that's worth.

Awards- The only one that I remember right now was an honorable mention for my print in the 7th Annual Jersey Shore Juried Art Show at the BAC.

Firsts- The show in Estonia was the first appearance of my art in a show in Eastern Europe. Over the summer I was involved in the creation of a freestanding mud mural. Last I checked (a few weeks ago), it was still in remarkably good shape, despite being exposed to an earthquake, a hurricane, a few other major storms, and the many coastal winds.

Miscellaneous- Had a day of fun in New York City, meeting up with some grad school friends in town for CAA. I did an artist presentation and demo in Westfield and a four day workshop at the BAC. I contributed a little to a more traditional painted mural in Belmar. I might have done more, but the organizer insisted on working early in the morning (protection against the 100 degree days at the time) and I'm not so into that.

Studio- Nothing new, but it's still a great place to work, when I can find time to get there. I did an emergency pack up this summer to secure my art in advance of Irene, but the 19th century building held tough against the hurricane. The critique group continues to remain popular with all who attend- old regulars and new visitors.

Next Year- Have plans for another workshop (this one being taught out of the Studio) and I've been offered another artist demo opportunity. Don't know about any shows yet, but I'm sure there will be some. I plan to get back to my Boardwalk series in January, and maybe even finish it before the end of 2012. Details will be posted on the blog as they happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home