Friday, May 03, 2013

Looking for the Edge



The Belmar Arts Council is continuing what has become an annual tradition, their Art on the Edge show, an exhibition devoted to LowBrow, Graffiti, Pop Surrealism, Surf, Skate, and Street Art.  Basically stuff that tends to appeal to people far younger than the average BAC member.  In fact, just reading the postcard is almost impossible for anyone over the age of forty.  Edginess is in the eye of the beholder, and what I do isn't close to most of those above listed categories, but the subjects of my prints can sometimes be a little far out compared to the typical Belmar artworks.  And all the Outlaw Printmakers dabble a bit in low brow art.

In fact, the above piece has an Outlaw connection, a piece done for a group folio, and shown in an Outlaw show Tom arranged at the Contemporary Art Museum in St Louis.  With the number of pieces I've shown at the Boatworks now risen past 400, I'm running out of new things to put in shows there, and many of the kinds of prints that would seem to fit with this kind of show have already been shown.  The art style of this one isn't particularly edgy, but the subject should work.

For a second entry I went way back, a hand colored piece that dates back to the 90's, one that I think I did down at an artist colony in Virginia.  So old that I don't have a digital image of it available at the moment, but I ll take a picture of it if it gets into the show.  It borrows an overall design from a dish towel with a plaid pattern, decorated with images of pizza slices and names of toppings, which I replaced with vintage containers of household chemicals (part of a collection of such things left behind by my grandfather) and words taken from those labels.  That may be weird enough to appeal to the people jurying this show.  I'll find out the results of that on Wednesday.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home