Thursday, September 12, 2013

Table Talk part 19



When I arrived at the Studio this morning I saw that Molly had carried through with yesterday's plan to start drawing more tabletops.  I believe what is shown above is the start of her sketch for the Boys and Girls Club tables, which can exist as two tables or be put together to create one design.  Molly was there in the building, but when she heard I was going to be sanding she decided to avoid all that noise and take care of some business in the print shop for a while.


Our new belt sander (the above red object) had arrived yesterday, and today I opened the box.  I was happy to see that it came with a belt already installed, saving me that task.  I decided to carefully read the instructions first.  One thing it mentioned was that items to be sanded should be secured in place.  I hadn't thought about that, but is made sense.  I decided to build a rack to support the biggest frames.  Two pieces of scrap were clamped to one of the work tables, which then supported a four sided frame  with the help of a few clamps to keep everything in place.  Below, Molly came in long enough to get some action photos of me working on one of the large frames.   I used the belt sander to go over all the long sides on the four large frames, and the orbital sander Herb had lent us to give it a more finished feel.  I'll have to design a different supporting rack to sand all the remaining parts of the existing frames, so that seemed a good time to put everything away and get ready for class.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home