Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Fiber Art part 2



I mentioned last night that I had an intention of producing a second version of my paper collage print from the 90's as a demonstration during my woodcut class, but I ran short of time.  Here's an update on the project, actions before, during, and since the class.

Having done the rubbing of the block last week, the next step was to use that image to create a second one that I could color, cut up, etc.  When you don't have a light table, a window on a sunny day is the easiest alternative.  On Monday, I taped the rubbing (traced with a marker) to my kitchen window, taped another piece of newsprint over the top, and used a pencil to trace the shapes.


On Tuesday afternoon, I used colored pencils to draw the color shapes, based on the original paper collage from Carbondale.  The shades and hues didn't have to match exactly, as it was just a guide for using the various colored papers I had in stock.  I brought this and my paper to last night's class, and started cutting the colored piece apart during the last hour of class (didn't have an opportunity to get a photo of the whole piece, but above is shown the skin areas), then used those pieces to start cutting  and tearing pieces of the colored paper.  This ended up taking far longer than I had anticipated, so after verifying the date deadlines, I decided to postpone the demonstration for a week, and use the last half hour of class to work with the students on other issues.


Had time today, so while I was out I stopped by the Studio to finish making color shapes from papers.  I had done the blue background, orange/gold basic skin, and brown marbled hair pieces last night.  So today I tore pieces of red/gold Thai Unryu for the drapery (above), a red-violet paper to represent deeper shadows (decided to tear rather than cut to emphasize the embedded fibers in the paper). and cut up some nutmeg Lama Li paper that will represent medium shadows.  I photographed these pieces on top of where they will be printed on the block to make it easier for me to figure it out next week.



I carefully packed up all the pieces of color to take home.  There's nothing more I can do until it's time to print it next Tuesday.  The main piece of white backing paper that will hold this whole piece together will come from one of my oversize rolls of Japanese paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home