Monday, July 14, 2014

Lightning Critique



Thanks to 4th of July weekend, the first Monday of the month came upon us quickly, and Molly and I decided to push the crit back a week or so.  But then she decided she couldn't do this Monday either, but she didn't want to switch the day, leaving it up to me.  So the word was distributed the usual ways.

I planned to go up to the Studio in late afternoon, get some work done, but heard lots of thunder as the time approached.  Quickly got my art stuff into the car, and decided to wait for the storm to pass before driving.  On the tv the radar showed a compact little storm that would zip across Monmouth County and then be out of the way.   Except that instead it kept its west end where it was, stretched across to the coast, and pummeled a narrow band in between (which included where I live and the Studio) with torrential rain, lightning, winds, etc, for a good two hours.  After that things calmed down, and news was reporting no road issues, so I took off.  Roads were moving a little slower than usual, but no floods or dangers, and I got up there about 30 minutes before the scheduled start.  Other tenants were in the building, so I didn't have to worry about opening up.  The lull held up as I moved my art stuff inside.

As 7:00 approached I was still alone, and wondering how long I'd stay.  I finally heard someone coming down the stairs about quarter after- Sheilagh, one of our regulars.  Ten minures later, no one else had shown yet, so we decided to just have a very little critique group.  The two pieces are above, her painting and my colored version of the Bd James print.  And we enjoyed our refreshments we had brought.  By 8 pm no one else had shown (we figured the afternoon of thunderstorms had discouraged everyone), so we gathered out stuff, locked up, and left.  Got everything home nice and safe.  About a half hour later, I could heat the hard rain again hitting the parking lot around my building, and was glad this night was over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home