Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Fiber Art part 3



Earlier this evening was the second class in the current run of woodcut class in Belmar, and as planned, I produced my new version of the colored paper piece as a demonstration.  First I talked about inks in general (lots of questions from the class over the past couple of weeks), and then began the printing process.  I started by inking the block, which I realized was the first time I had done that in almost 20 years.  Next I carefully placed the first layer of colored paper pieces.  For a few pieces, I did consult the photos I took last week.  Above is shown the first layer of paper pieces.  (the bright blue is painter's tape, covering some stray ink)


The next step was to brush some glue onto the backs of all pieces, especially those on the skin.  I placed the largest color piece (skin) on top, and then more glue on top of that, and on everything else.  I had torn a piece of kinwashi to the right size to be the backing piece, put that on top, then a piece of newsprint to protect all that as I printed.


Above, the completed piece.  Some of the blue shifted a little bit, but I'm fine with that since it emphasizes the paper nature of this piece over the print content.  I had to reglue a few pieces as I was lifting it off, but it all came up as expected.  The class was impressed with how it turned out and some are considering ways to use this process in some of their own prints.  Meanwhile, I'll submit it to the Fiber show in Belmar tomorrow (online w/photo), and it will be dry before I'd have to bring the actual piece two weekends from now.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home