Thursday, September 18, 2014

Supermarket Rubble part 2



It's been a little over a week since I did the above sketch with pencil and markers to show at the recent critique.  In the time since I have given it some thought and done some work, so here's an update.


I live across the street from the supermarket that inspired this piece, and it's not unusual for me to take a quick walk over there a few times a week when I need something.  This past week when I did that I would often have paper with me and make some quick reference sketches on location, and then work them into something more later.  In the above photo, the page on the right shows sketches of things like the relative position of two cars in the lot, and a row of shopping carts.  The page on the left shows an update to the composition, with changes to the cart corral structure, as well as adjusting the relative scale- the man is a more logical size compared to the car.


In the afternoon today I drove up to the Studio.  If nothing else, I needed something I will use in tomorrow's drawing class, but I used the opportunity to prepare a piece of wood.  This past year I switched my Belmar woodcut class over to birch due to the poor quality of lauan that I've found for sale in the home and lumber chains.  If I see some decent pieces in the future I would consider buying it.  But for now I used some of the remaining birch that I had from the summer classes and prepared a new block, which will be the first supermarket print on birch.


While up at the Studio, I decided to do yet another paper compositional sketch of the idea.  This one includes some of the ideas from above (better relative scale, positions of other cars, shopping carts), though there will still need to be changes to relative positions of items, and perspective needs a whole lot of work.   But I think the idea is fine, so I'll work out those things and I hope to be sketching on the wood in a week or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home