Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Art Business



Experienced artists (or at least regular readers of this blog) know that an artist's life is full of all kinds of tasks that have little to do with making art, but things we have to do.  For example, the recent print show that I was in in Newark is over, but for various reasons, this is not a good week for me to go up there to pick up the pieces.  So I made arrangements with the organizer to ship my works back.  He agreed assuming I did the all the work of preparing the shipping means, and that's fair, since it's a lot of work.


I began the process this afternoon.  I had a couple of large pieces of single corrugated cardboard, which seem to be pre-cut and folded boxes, and almost the perfect size for the task.  I brought those and a sample framed supermarket print to the Studio and took advantage of the big table.


I've done enough of these over the years that the process goes quickly.  I made a few cuts, scored a few lines to ease folding, and then started the assembly.  Wood glue and clamps make the work go quicker. I used some of the old lauan used for last week's mounting and framing job to cut protective and reinforcement panels for the two broad sides, and secured them in place with paper tape (below)  I brought everything home to let it dry and continue the process in the evening.




On the way home from Ocean Grove, I stopped in Belmar to clean out the stuff I stored there for my most recent class.  Being able to keep stuff there over the last month probably saved me an hour or two per week, and I hope it will be available next time.  But the next class is probably two months away, so the fair thing is clear out those tubs and make them and the shelf available to someone else with a class in the near future.

Tomorrow- finish the box and maybe get it on its way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home